Using Jobs-To-Be-Done for Better Product Strategy
The concept of a “job” in “Jobs-To-Be-Done” is neatly encapsulated by a oft-quoted line from Theodore Levitt: “People want a quarter-inch hole, not a quarter inch drill”. Originating in market research and strategy, Jobs-to-Be-Done (JTBD) is a set of frameworks that is rapidly being recognised and adopted by product teams and UX practitioners worldwide as an effective way to identify and to define user needs.
Based on several years of using JTBD in her own work, Steph will demystify the applications of JTBD Theory, introduce you to the core methods in this hands-on workshop and show you how you can best incorporate it it into your product design process.
Who is it for?
Anyone who is involved in the strategic direction or the design of a product. You can be a product owner, product manager, researcher, designer or developer. If you care about building the right thing, this workshop is for you.
- Gain in-depth understanding of JTBD theory and the different approaches to applying it
- Learn how JTBD can bring research insights to guide your product strategy & design
- Understand the foundations of the Outcome Driven Innovation (ODI) framework
- Learn the mechanism of the JTBD Switch interviews
- Synthesise jobs to give clarity to your product vision
More about the day
What we will achieve
- Clarity on JTBD theory and the approaches
- "Play" with different JTBD frameworks and tools
- Use JTBD methods for better product research
- Apply JTBD thinking to product design decisions
- Learn how to adapt JTBD methods to our needs
Hands-on exercises include
- Practicing the original JTBD Switch interview technique
- Adapting the Switch interview technique
- Writing lightweight Switch interview scripts
- Interviewing for outcomes
- Capturing functional, emotional and social jobs
- Analysing Switch interviews for insights using the Four Forces
- Writing job statements, outcomes statements and job stories
- Evaluating how JTBD fits into your product process
- 8:30 – 9:00am: checkin & breakfast
- 9:30am (sharp!): workshop starts
- 1 – 2pm: lunch
- 5:30pm: wrapup
None. You will get most value out of this workshop if you have some prior product research and design experience.
Do you offer team discounts?
Yes! Groups of more than 3 qualify. Send us an email for details.
What's your refund policy?
We'll provide refunds for any cancellations up to 2 weeks before the event.
Can I transfer my ticket?
Yes, absolutely – just send us an email.
Where is it?
Steph is an independent strategist and researcher. She was most recently the Head of Research at digital agency Clearleft, where she helped companies and organisations build customer intelligence through combining design research with other disciplines. Previously, she led design research at the Telegraph and spearheaded European customer research with MailChimp.
In 20 years of working in the digital industry, Steph has worn many hats, including a product lead for a startup in digital publishing and a director of technology at a digital agency. She is also a regular speaker at conferences and guest lectures annually at the University of Greenwich. When not bound to a digital device, she makes things by hand, grows edible flowers and has a tendency to cook enough to feed a continent at a time. She now lives on her 4th continent on her 4th island in the UK.